Edit a Chart in Excel
After creating a chart you will edit a chart in excel using different techniques. Depending on the selected element, different settings are available that you can configure
as needed. From the task pane, you can make changes to the element’s formatting, such as the color, 3D design, and alignment.
Use the Format Task Pan
The Format task pane allows you to format the various chart elements. Formatting options include colors, borders, size, location, and configuration options.
1. Select the chart.
2. Click the Chart Elements icon.
3. Selected elements are active on the chart. Unselected elements are inactive.
4. Place your pointer over an element and click the menu arrow that appears.
5. Select More Options to open the Format task pane.
6. To edit a different element, select it from the Element drop-down.
7. Select Text Options to view text-formatting options for the selected element.
8. To view the various options available for an element, select Element Name Options.
Not all elements have access to the same options.
9. Click an option icon to view the available settings. The chart updates as changes are
10. Click the X to close the pane.
Edit the Chart or Axis Titles
Edit the chart or axis titles to clarify the purpose of the chart.
1. Select the frame of the title you want to change.
2. As you type the new title, the text appears in the formula bar. Press Enter when done.
Note: To change a specific word in a title, select the title then double-click the word you
want to change. Press Esc or click a cell on the sheet when you are done with your
Change the Display Units in an Axis
Excel bases the units shown in an axis off the data. You can change the display units,
reducing the amount of space used and making the axis easier to read.
1. Right-click the axis and select Format Axis.
2. Click the Axis Options icon.
3. Select the desired units from the Display Units drop-down.
4. The axis will update, including a label showing the applied unit base.
Customize a Series Color
You can change the color of a single series on a chart without affecting the other series.
1. Click once on the series you want to change. All points of that series will be selected. If only the one point is selected, you clicked the point twice. Click elsewhere on the sheet and try again.
2. Right-click over the series and select Format Data Series.
3. Click the Fill & Line icon in the Format task pane.
4. Expand the Fill category and select Solid Fill.
5. Select a color from the palette drop-down.
6. The selected series will update to reflect the new color.
Note: If you click twice (two single clicks, not double-click) on a specific data point in a series so that only it, not the entire series, is selected, you can apply a color to just that data point.